Thursday, March 14, 2013

My Journey to Buffalo State




My friends often don’t understand why I left New York City and moved to Buffalo, a city where I had never been before. In their opinion, New York City could provide me more resources such as friendships, family and other fun opportunities. The reason I left was because I wanted to bring something new to my life, something that was unpredictable and full of challenges.
During the time of living at New York City, I went to school in the day time and went to work at night.Sometimes, I hung out with friends for fun. I definitely had a good life in New York City because I had a respectful office job and I was able to live on my own. Everything was on the right track, I could predict how my life looks like within ten years. However, I was bored.

By the time I was graduating, I realized this was the chance for me to get rid of everything and have a new life. I was tired of the life I had and I wanted to challenge myself to start a new one. I wanted to put myself into the situation where I lost all my support including friends, my job and family. And I would try my best to survive on my own.

Therefore, I immediately applied to colleges that were outside of New York City. The process of applying was frustrating, but I did it. I got accept to 10 colleges which located in various locations but I choose Buffalo State because it qualified all my requirements. It was far from New York City, but had a good reputation and it was affordable.

The day I was on the bus to Buffalo, I felt so excited. I looked at the view of New York City and told myself “New York City is a beautiful city, but it’s  time for me to start my new journey.”

Signed, Mika Zhuo

No comments:

Post a Comment