Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Away or Stay? : My Experience of Going Away to College


If anyone  were to ask if they should  go away or stay for home for schooling, I would say go away. This is an experience that I think everyone should try even if it’s for a limited time. I was a transfer student and was so use to being home that I went to school in Connecticut which is about an hour and a half away from home. I didn’t want to be home ,but I definitely didn’t want to be too far away . When I was away I went home so often that my family and friends started to make plans with me before I was back home. I didn’t like the fact that they were so use to me, but I did like the convenience of being so close to home.

So when I applied and   got accepted to SUNY College at Buffalo (Buffalo State) I was happy to be in school, but didn’t enjoy the fact that it was 8 hours away from home. I scoped the environment during orientation and thought  "Is this school for me?" and " Can I do this ?" I’m not use to change or being too far away from my family. It was a lot to get use to .As time progressed I learned to be more independent and get use to my new environment. I had to realize that at the end of the day I have to do what’s right for me.
 
Overall, I’m happy with the fact I went away. I encourage everyone to try to branch into a new environment. I think this is the time to actually get to know who you really are.  Buffalo State is a school that tries to make the environment comfortable and welcoming to each student. I’ve adjusted to being away and enjoyed every bit of it.


Signed, Shenette Richardson, Senator

No comments:

Post a Comment